One of the hi-light of my trip...

Mount Nakadake

When I started planing my trip, Mount Aso (Asosan) was very high on my list to visit. There are several things that attracted me. The most important one is it's the Largest Active Volcano in Japan that you can see the crater.

Firstly, stop by at the information centre at Beppu station for "How to get to Aso", they'll give you a piece of A4 paper telling you every possible way to got to Aso from Beppu.

Aso

Click Here for Large version

You can reach Mt Aso from Beppu by Train or Buses. However there are only 4 trains scheduled to go to Aso each day, so, please check the train time table and plan your time wisely. :) Coz I didn't and missed the train, so, the next best thing is to catch the Oita - Kumamoto Bus. There is also bus going to Aso from Beppu but it'll take 3 hours! There are many trains going to Oita from Beppu and it'll take around 15 minutes. The Bus will depart at "Tokiwa Department Store" that A4 paper will have the map and every details how to get there. :) The fare for one way to Aso is 2050 Yen.

I jumped on the 13:00 bus scheduled to reach Aso at 15:00. Along the way the views were breath taking!!! Very green and countryside, I did enjoy them very much. However, half way through, the mist started to cover the area. I thought "Shit, I'm not going to see the mountain". But as we moved closer to Aso things started to get brighter again. Phewwwwww

On my way to Asosan

On my way to Asosan


At Aso station just next door there's an office that sells the ticket for bus to go up to Aso Moutain. Or you can DIY at ticket vending machine. It will take around 30-40 minutes for one way.

Mount Aso

Mount Aso

Mount Aso

As you can see the view along the way is beautiful, the windows on the bus can be openned quite easily for taking pictures.

The Bus will stop at Aso station and I had to catch another bus to go up the mountain. Again, check that A4 paper. :) The bus will make 2 stops, 1 at Kusasenri, Grass Land and Volcano Museum (They're one place) the driver will give you 10 minutes for a toilet break here and the last stop at Asosan-Nishi where you can catch a Cable Car to go up the crater.

Mount Aso

Mount Aso

I bought a return ticket for the Cable Car with a warning that I might not see anything as the mist came down very badly. But well, since I was there already why not. :)

Mount Aso

The rope way will only take 5 minutes to go up to the Crater (it's called as Mt Nakadake). I heard the lady said the last cable car is at 15.50 I nodded and went on. When I came out of the station.... the warning is true... it's very misty and several areas were closed due to the high level of Volcanic gas (Sulfur Dioxide or SO2 )

Mount Aso

However, once in awhile, the sky did open!!! I was so happy and fired my camera non-stop. It was really out of the world view and I loved every minute I spent there watching the scenery.

Mount Aso

I walked around the area a bit and came back to the station at 15:45 to found out that... the cable car was finished................. the last one was 15:15 not 15:50 Argggggghhhhhh All of sudden my face went pale. As if I did not make it on time down to Asosan-Nishi I would also missed the Last Bus down to Aso station!!!

Luckily there was a Japanese tourist that I helped him taking pictures before still there. So I asked him for whether he can help me and he did. Phewwwwwww I was on his motobike down to Asosan-Nishi safely and on time for the bus. I learned later that I was very lucky as Japanese Do Not take hitch-hiker. I came back to Aso Station and got the train back to Beppu safely. What a day!!! But very well worth it.

Though if I had more time I could have explored the area a bit more, the Grassland looks very nice and peaceful and there's also the Komezuka which is a gentle beautiful hill. I guess I have to come back. ;)

PS: People with Asthmatics, Bronchial Disorders or Heart Trouble ARE NOT ALLOWED to go up to Mount Nakadake.

3 Comments:

  1. Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...
    I can just imagine your face when you realised you had missed the last cable! But ahh, isn't karma great? Being a nice guy always works in the long run :)
    Gun said...
    hehehehe

    You know me a little too well now.
    grover said...
    Heh, once when we were travelling a Japan, we had to catch two particular trains and a bus, other wise the whole day would have been a wipeout in travel.
    As it was, we nearly missed the first shinkansen from losing one of my friends for a couple of minutes. We all made it on the same platform with 20 seconds to spare.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.